Canada is a land of opportunities, a country that is known for maple syrup and people saying “eh” all the time. It is a country known for its peaceful existence. Most certainly, you can come to Canada to live and work, but if you are here and have no plans on moving away, you should consider becoming a citizen.
To apply for Canadian citizenship here are the requirements:
- be a permanent resident,
- have lived in Canada for 3 out of the last 5 years,
- have filed your taxes, if you needed to,
- pass a test on your rights, responsibilities and knowledge of Canada, and
- prove your language skills,
Other requirements may apply.
Let’s take a look at these commonly asked questions to find out more about Canadian citizenship.
- I am still a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- Under Canadian law, a Canadian is allowed to be a citizen of another country as well. Some countries, however, will not let you keep their citizenship if you become a Canadian citizen. The consulate or embassy of your other country of citizenship can let you know if this applies to you.
- What is the Residence Requirement to apply for Canadian Citizenship?
- You must have accumulated at least three years of residence on the day you sign your application (equal to 1,095 days).
- What happens if I miss my citizenship test?
- If you do not appear for your scheduled citizenship test, you will receive a letter by mail telling you that to appear for an interview with a citizenship judge.
- If you miss that interview, another interview will be scheduled for you and you will receive a notice of that second scheduled date by registered mail. If you do not attend the second scheduled interview, your file will be closed.
- What happens if I do not appear for the citizenship ceremony?
- If you do not attend the citizenship ceremony and do not contact the citizenship office within 60 days, your file will be closed. You will then have to fill out another application form and pay the fee to go through the entire process again.
- How long will it take IRCC (formerly known as CIC) to process my application?
- It usually takes an approximate twelve months to process citizenship applications.
At ICGCI, we may help you with advice and filing of citizenship application. Call us at +1(604)7198200, or email us at email@example.com to learn how we can help in your application!