Work Permits

If you want to work in Canada you must obtain a work permit from the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), a department of the Government of Canada.

Foreign nationals with temporary work permits are allowed to work in Canada for a limited time. Work permits are granted on the basis of factors such as employment needs in Canada, work experience, education, bilateral agreements, and pilot programs.

Work permits, depending on their authorization, can allow for full-time or part-time employment. You may also be able to apply for permanent residency with a work permit.


What are the Different Types of Work Permits?

Depending on your situation, you may apply for a variety of work permits, including:

Open Work Permit: An open work permit allows a foreign national to work in Canada for any employer and in any location.

A restricted open work permit may limit your industry or occupation, but it allows you to work all across Canada. The Labour Market Impact Assessment does not apply to any open work permits (LMIA).

Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP): The Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) is for international students who have completed their studies at a designated learning institution (DLI).

Students with post-graduate work permits can gain Canadian experience after completing their studies. This permit is valid for up to three years, depending on the length of your study programme.

Work Permit Options for IT Workers: Information Technology (IT) workers in Canada have a variety of work permit options. Employers who want to hire highly qualified and experienced professionals should use the Global Talent Stream (GTS).

The Intra-Company Transfer Program enables an international company with a parent, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate in Canada to bring an executive, senior manager, or employee with specialised knowledge to Canada on a temporary work permit.

Open Work Permit for Inland Spouses: The Inland Spousal Sponsorship Open Work Permit is for the spouses of Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

To be eligible to apply, you must have a valid temporary residence permit and an application for permanent residency in process.

Bridging Open Work Permit: If you have already applied for permanent residency under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, Canadian Experience Class Program, Provincial Nominee Program, Agri-Food Pilot, Home Child-Care Provider Pilot, or Home Support Worker Pilot Programs, you may be eligible to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP).


The open work permit allows you to keep working in Canada while your permanent residency application is being processed.



Switch The Language

    Immigration Consultants Group Canada Incorporation (ICGCI) is a trusted Canadian immigration consultancy firm located in Vancouver, BC.

    Vancouver Office

    1861 Welch St, North Vancouver, BC V7P 1B7


    +1 (604) 719-8200


    [email protected]